[pmwiki-devel] LinkUrl / LinkTxt question

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Feb 6 08:39:04 CST 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 08:45:12AM -0500, The Editor wrote:
> Just a quick question (second post)...
>
> Is there any way you can reset how the link text is displayed in a wiki page?
>
> That is, I have the Hg recipe converting the pageurl as desired, and
> have it resolving properly as well (almost, see below).  But in two
> instances the displayed link text does not match the actual link.
> Specifically:
>
> 1.  [[Group/Group]] links to Group/HomePage but displays as
> Group/Group (ie Group).  Not all bad but could be misleading.
> Group.HomePage displaying as Group.Group is a bit more problematic.

You want [[Group/Group]] to link to Group.HomePage?  Why would
we want that?  PmWiki's philosophy is to honor what the author
writes and not attempt to second-guess it.

> 2.  [[Group.]] links to Group/HomePage but displays as "Group.".
> Again, not terrible but the dot is easy to miss.

PmWiki's philosophy on link text has generally been that whatever
is inside the double brackets is what should be displayed as the
link text.   The exceptions are that parens and slashes are
convenient shortcuts for suppressing part of the link text.