[pmwiki-devel] Looking at ZAP - tutorial quirks?

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sat Feb 3 20:57:08 CST 2007

On 2/3/07, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
<christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was looking at ZAP and the tutorial:
>         http://www.fast.st/zap/pmwiki.php?n=Help.GettingStarted
>
> The example code below from that page
>
>         (:zapdata:)
>         (:zapform:)
>         (:input text "Field1" {$Field1}:)
>         (:input text "Field2" {$Field2}:)
>         (:input hidden savedata "Field1,Field2":)
>         (:input submit value="Zap it!":)
>         (:zapend:)
>         Field 1: {$Field1}
>         Field 2: {$Field2}
>
> has a few quirks that I ran into, and which I think should be mentioned
> (or fixed).
>
> The tutorial says the code will pre-poulate the fields with pre-existing
> data, but that doesn't work if the data contains spaces for instance.
>
> Changing the code to
>
>         (:input text "Field1" "{$Field1}":)
>         (:input text "Field2" "{$Field2}":)
>
> helps - I don't know if it is a full solution.

Oh, you are right.  I didn't realize that was up there.  I'll fix it.
Probably should put up a note in the tutorials also, as this is a
common mistake for new ZAP users...

> Also note that
>
>         Field 1: {$Field1}
>         Field 2: {$Field2}
>
> won't display very nice as linebreaks aren't preserved by default in
> PmWiki. (Nor should they in IMHO). Changing it to:
>
>         (:linebreaks:)
>         Field 1: {$Field1}
>         Field 2: {$Field2}
>
> Gives you linebreaks for what follows.

Yes, true.  Of course, this wasn't really about display...  More about
showing how to get at the data.

> Another funny thing is that if I insert e.g. '(: :)' in a field, I get
> linebreaks between the fields and the submit button. I don't get this bit
> at all.

Try going to some page in the Test directory.  I'm not sure what this
is all about either.  But if you set up a test page, I'll take alook.

> If there is a testing area for ZAP I can create test cases for you there
> that illustrates these problems.

Thanks for taking a look Christian.  I'll do my best to fix any
problems or bugs you notice.

Cheers,
Dan