[pmwiki-devel] Maintaining a drawing register - background

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 29 05:20:42 CST 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 11:05:49AM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> The goal of the system is to maintain a register drawings, and here is the
> most important function:
>
> 	Allow users to allocate unique drawing identifiers for drawings.
>
> where an identifier will be of the form <series>-<number>, e.g. 'SP-0230'
> and 'SMX-232'. The series in these two examples are 'SP-' and 'SMX-'
> respectively.
>
> Note that in general drawing identifiers will never be removed from the
> system, although a drawing can be marked as "obsolete".

That sounds to me like it would be most easily implemented by having a
"Drawings" group, with one page per drawing, where the page-name of the
drawing is its drawing-identifier.

> Here is a more detailed list of functionality:
>
> * Allocation of unique drawing identifiers in different series

Well, I'm not sure about automatic allocation of drawing identifiers,
not sure out-of-the-box PmWiki can do that.

> * Possible to list all drawings

(:pagelist group=Drawings name=-Drawings list=normal fmt=#yourformat:)

> * Possible to list all drawings in a series

(:pagelist group=Drawings name=SP-* fmt=#yourformat:)

> * For each drawing, the following information should be associated
> ** Each drawing has a unique identifier
> ** Each drawing has a revision number
> ** Each drawing has a status (e.g. in progress, finalized or obsolete)
> ** Each drawing has a location, i.e. where it is stored electronically.
> ** Each drawing has a title
> ** Each drawing has a description. (optional)

Looking at the WikiForms recipe, because it stores its data in
definition lists, then you might be able to take advantage of this by
using PmWiki version 2.2-beta, and access these as page-text variables.

This means that you could make your own pagelist format (in
Site.LocalTemplates) to make your pagelists display all the information
associated with a drawing (or maybe just a subset of it).

Kathryn Andersen