[pmwiki-devel] Select & Option Dropdown-list Markup

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Tue Dec 12 04:36:28 CST 2006

Patrick R. Michaud said...
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 06:47:17PM -0000, marc wrote:
> > Patrick R. Michaud said...
> > > I'm still not absolutely certain what to do with textarea markups,
> > > so it might not appear in today's release.  However, setting of
> > > default values for radio, checkbox, and select inputs will work.
> >
> > label, fieldset, legend...
>
> Until I understand how these work a little better I don't have
> any immediate plans to support them, other than perhaps to
> have PmWiki recognize the tags that aren't allowed in paragraphs.
>
> (Hint: if someone wants to explain to me why label/fieldset/legend
> are useful or important, that might help.)

<label> is an accessibility requirement for any <input>. From the HTML
docs:

"The LABEL element associates a label with a form control. By
associating labels with form controls, authors give important hints to
users of speech browsers while also allowing visual browsers to
duplicate common GUI features (e.g., the ability to click on a text
label to select a radio button or checkbox)."

<fieldset> and <legend> are inseparable and are the preferred method for
dividing a form into smaller bits. Again this is an accessibility
requirement. Plus, a fieldset with a legend looks great :-)

> This is really where PmWikiPhilosophy #2 comes into play -- the
> (:input:) markup in PmWiki isn't intended to do everything that
> can be done with forms and input, it's just intended to provide
> an interface to generate simple forms from markup.  More complex
> forms still deserve custom markup.

Personally, I don't consider either of these fall into the complex forms
category - but I use them routinely. We could wrap the required markup
and function into a recipe, if you prefer.

--
Best,
Marc