[pmwiki-devel] PmWiki's database standard

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Fri Dec 1 07:34:58 CST 2006

Ben Stallings said...
> Marc wrote,

Thanks, Ben. My thought was to start a debate about whether what was
proposed, which we all agree is a good idea, is being implemented in the
most appropriate way.

>  > The first point is regarding the use of ADOdb's esoteric functions.
>
> OK, I give up, which ones are more esoteric?  Do you mean all functions
> that are not included in the lite version

Yes. There aren't that many, though, that are likely to be used, imo.

> or some subset of those?  I'm
> not sure whether the functions I'm using are ones you consider esoteric
> or not, so please clarify.

All I can do is point to the ADOdb lite docs, which specify what has
been implemented, rather than replicate them here

  http://adodblite.sourceforge.net/functions.php
  http://adodblite.sourceforge.net/modules.php

As I mentioned, I've used ADOdb for years, and the only function that
needed replacing was GetUpdateSQL(). This is easily replaced by a
regular SQL UPDATE.

> It seems to me that there could be multiple versions of the Database
> Standard file for sites using ADOdb, ADOdb-lite, or even PEAR; or that
> all three of those could be put into one PHP function with the
> $ADOdbLocation global or its equivalent telling the function which
> standard to use.  The important thing as I see it is to get the
> connection routines out of the individual recipes in order to prevent
> duplicate connections.  I'm not keen on telling recipe authors which
> functions they can and cannot use; I'll leave that to someone with more
> credibility.

I agree that any of the available mechanisms can be used, but there is
an issue should a recipe designer use a function not supported by one of
the abstraction layers.

> > Perhaps more contentiously, having examined adodb-connect.php and
> > AuthUserDbase-2.0.0.php, I'm not clear why the database object is being
> > passed as an array variable via PHP's globals. Is there a reason for not
> > using the object?
>
> Yes there is, thanks for asking.  The reasoning was that the
> ADOdbConnect() function returns either true or an error message to be
> handled by the recipe that calls the function, since adodb-connect.php
> does not have any user interface of its own and hence no error handling.
>   If it returned an object instead of true, each recipe that uses the
> function would have to test whether or not the result is an object
> before handling the error message.

Okay, I can see the intent, but

  if (!is_object($DB[$dbName]))
    return "Unable to connect to database: ".$DB[$dbName]->ErrorMsg();

won't work because it calls a method on an object that doesn't exist.

You need to be a bit careful too, because you are using both

  ADONewConnection($dsn) and $DB[$dbName]->Connect

Both return true/false, but the former doesn't create an object when it
fails (it does when using ADONewConnection($driver)) while the latter is
acting on an instantiated object (which it doesn't destroy if it fails).

This

  if (is_object($DB[$dbName]) && $DB[$dbName]->IsConnected())
    return $DB[$dbName];
  else
    return false;

handles all the eventualities, and as you say, the recipe writer can do:

  $db = ADOdbConnect($database);
  if (!$db) return false; # or whatever

> Also, the purpose of the function is to provide a standard API for
> databases

Indeed.

> and a global variable ensures that any time a recipe refers
> to $DB, it's the same $DB that other recipes are using.

None of this goes away, but it is transparent when using objects. In
other words calling:

  $db = ADOdbConnect($database);

does

  if (is_object($DB[$dbName]) && $DB[$dbName]->IsConnected())
    return $DB[$dbName];

I've found using the db objects as objects much simpler.

--
Best,
Marc